Friday, September 12, 2008

Fire Safety...........................

So, school has started again and is full swing. I pretty much have a schedule for Eve and Jack. Abby is just starting out so I use her daily activities for opportunities to teach the basics. Samuel, on the other hand, is teaching all of us. You know, all the practical things we don't think about..................................................................................

Last night, Abigail asked for some popcorn so I got out the microwave stuff (because I wasn't feeling good and I was on the phone with Joshua's mom). I put it in the microwave and hit the popcorn button then walked to the other room. I was changing Katie's diaper and saying good-bye to Joshua's mom when I started to smell smoke. I was only gone out of the room for about 5 minutes but it was plenty of time for trouble to brew. When I got out to the kitchen the room was filled with smoke, there was black smoke coming out of the microwave and Sammy was standing on the floor, by the bar stool that was in front of where the microwave is. He was pointing to it, coughing and saying, "Mommy, moke pocorn." Yes, Samuel had pulled the bar stool over so he could reach the microwave and then apparently added time to the popcorn and it burned. Not like a little burnt but like it caught on fire burnt....................There was no popcorn left in the bag only black soot and seeds and the bag was half gone too. After making sure there was no fire anywhere and turning on all the fans to get the smoke out, I assessed the damage and needless to say, my microwave has seen it's better days.
Jack walked over and asked, "Mommy, why is there smoke everywhere?" So I explained it and He remarked, "Well, I guess we know now that our smoke detectors don't work!"
I would like to say that it is not true but sadly, when we moved into this house we really didn't think about the detectors. We normally check them on a regular basis but this time it had slipped our minds. Right about now, I know, Grandpa (Joshua's dad and Fire Captain) is using a few expletives (**%$#!!**%$!) and is picking up the phone to call Joshua but he can rest easy because we bought new detectors and they work well. There are even fire extinguishers! Thank you, Sammy!!

We all are fine and the smoke has cleared but we won't be forgetting our lessons in "fire safety" from our two year old.........................................................................
Here is a picture for Grandpa.....................................................

1 comment:

grandma rose said...

ah, yes, Grandpa was "tisk, tisking" that one.... what a blessing little Samuel is to keep you on your toes!!!!!!
We are so thankful that everyone was ok!