Monday, December 22, 2008

Did I ever tell you the story about..................

One of my earliest memories is when I was about 4 years old. I can remember in great detail the things that went on that day. I don't remember if it was in the Fall or Spring but I remember exactly what I was thinking and exactly what I was doing. I remember having it all planned out (what I was about to do) so my Mother would not find out. I even manipulated my little sister into being my guinea pig. That day no one could have predicted what I was about to do............................... That day, at 4 years old, I can remember like it was just the other day. I stacked up some bible story books on the porch to make a chair for my sister, age 3, and then proceeded to tell her I was going to make her beautiful. I sat her down and then took my mothers scissors (that I had secretly taken out of the drawer earlier when MOM wasn't looking) and then I CUT her hair. Now, my sister and I both had long, strait, beautiful hair but the key word here is "HAD." I didn't just "trim" or "slightly cut" her hair. I CHOPPED IT OFF! Almost right to her scalp. Yes, I did that! Me, Allissa! But wait, that's not all......................... After I had finished, I got one of our doll baby blankets and told my sister to wear it on her head so that my mother would not see. I had it all planned out.............but it didn't last long. Now, I don't really remember in my own mind what happened when my mom found out but she says she was very, very MAD. I think she eventually forgave me. After all, I was only 4 and I only did what any child would do with idle time right? Right!

I know you all are thinking that you are being set up for the REAL reason why I am telling you this, and some of you may have already guessed but I will tell you anyway................................

Today, I cried. I felt such a sense of loss and distress. I asked "WHY" about 100 times but there was no answer. My 4 year old, Abigail, CUT HER HAIR!!! AAAHHHHHH!! Yes, MY daughter went digging ( and she had to dig because I try to keep all that stuff OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN) and found scissors. She decided to cut, and cut all that beautiful hair. It only took a few moments for me to realize something was going on because she didn't come back from the bathroom right away after using it. But a moment is all it takes. I am sure that the only reason none of her siblings fell prey to her experiment is because Eve, 9, would never have agreed to it, Jack and Sammy are boys and already have short hair and Katie would not have stayed quiet or still long enough for a hair cut. So, she felt that her beautiful, long hair was the perfect candidate. I am very thankful, though, that she did not start at the scalp. I was able to fix most of it but it is pretty short compared to before. I know that it is just hair and it will eventually grow back but I still cried and cried. And when Abby saw me crying so much she teared up and hugged me tight. I told her I would miss her long hair but that didn't change how beautiful she was and that Mommy still loved her very much. She just hung her head and responded, "Yeah," and then hugged me some more.

My mother said that one day she hoped I would have a child just like me. I just never thought that history would repeat itself in such an ironic way..........................

Here are some before and after pics..................

2 comments:

grandma rose said...

still such a beautiful girl!!!!

Anonymous said...

she is so beautiful, Allissa!!